From:
KM Zeretzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:56:35 PST
Hello all--

I'm Karen Zeretzke, a LC in private practice all by myself.  I came up
through LLL, took the exam in 88 and started a business (with a partner,
but that's another post) in 94 when the youngest of our 8 children was in
school all day.    When we updated our computer a couple of weeks ago, I
discovered the joys of Lactnet and email!!  I'm so glad to be a part of
this!

An osteoporosis reference can be found in the newest _Breastfeeding
Abstracts_, p. 26.  "Changes in bone mineral density and markers of bone
remodeling during lactation and post weaning in women consuming high
amounts of calcium by NA Cross, LS Hillman, SH  Allen and GF Krause. _J
Bone Min Res_ 1995; 10:1312-20.

Study started w/22 healthy women who were evaluated at 3 points:
baseline(<2 weeks postpartum);  lactation(3 months of lactation); and
post weaning(3 months after weaning).  After baseline, some women rec'd
ca, others a placebo.  Various body sites studied for bone mineral
density(BMD):  spinal (L2-L4), and  forearm (½-,  mid- and
ultradistal(UD)  ulna and radius.  Only the UD site in placebo group
experienced significant loss of 4.9% BMD.  From the baseline to
lactation study points, BMD loss of 4.3% in the placebo and 6.3%in the
supplemented group was detected at the lumbar spine while a 5.7% gain
was seen at the UD radius in the supplemented group only.  From the
lactation to the post weaning study points, losses were detected all
radial and ulnar sites in both groups while a 3% gain was seen at the
lumbar site in the supplemented group and a non-significant gain in the
placebo group.

Results of this study concur w/others that spinal BMD losses are regained
by 3 mo. post weaning regardless of the duration of breastfeeding; other
studies suggest that this takes place at 4-6 mos post weaning.

Only observed effect of treatment versus non-treatment was the increase
of BMD in the UD raidial site in the supplemented groups and greater
decrease at this site in the supplemented group.  Even though all
subjects were consuming ca at levels at or above the RDA for lactating
women, spinal bone loss was not averted during lactation.

Other sources include Kalkwarf, HJ et al.  "Bone mineral loss during
lactation and recovery after weaning."  _Obstet Gynecol_ 1995:
85,285-89 (Women lose bone during lactation but gain bone after weaning.
 Thus lactation may not result in net bone loss.)

Sowers, M et al.  "A prospective study of bone density and pregnancy
after an extended period of lactation with bone loss."  _Obstet Gynecol_
1995:  85, 285-89. (Women with the dual calcium demands of extended
lactation and a subsequent pregnancy are not at risk for failure of bone
recovery to pre-lactation levels.)

Blaauw, R. et al.  "Risk factors for development of osteoporosis in a
South African population."  SAMJ 1994:  84, 328-32 (The odds ratio that
a woman with osteoporosis did not breastfeed her baby was 4 times higher
than for a control woman.)

The last 3 are from 1995-96 LLL Facts About Breastfeeding Sheets...

Karen Zeretzke, MEd, IBCLC