From:
Bruce Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 20:21:00 EST
Elisa,

I am a little behind in my posts but I hope this helps.  A few months ago we got
a new mom in our LLL group who moved from LA.  Her son (9 months) was still
recovering from botulism, he too was breastfed.  His symptoms began as
constipation (the botulism toxins cause paralysis, starting with the intestines
and ending with the chest muscles - lungs, which is why they need a respirator).
After a few phone calls back and forth with the ped. she had to admit him to the
hospital.  I forget how long he was on the respirator, but he recovered well.
He had to relearn how to sit, crawl, etc and was getting physical therapy.  It
was a very scary time for her, but had a happy ending, you can't tell that he
was that sick now.

His was also airborne, from the dust that came up after the last earthquake.
She thought she was paranoid when another mother in her group (this happend in
LA) was saying her child was having the same symptoms, she asked if he was
having some of the other symptoms of botulism.  When the mother said yes, she
told her about botulism that she should take her child to the ped. now.  She
felt foolish, until the mother called to tell her that she was right and she was
now in the NICU.  Another of the great benefits of breastfeeding.

Felicia Henry, AAHCC & LLLL