From:
Margaret Radcliffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 12:07:15 -0500
Alicia wrote:

>Margaret:  Did I understand you properly? The BABY is the one getting the
>medications and the mother is being told to wean?  And I thought we had
>exhausted the list of "most ridiculous reasons to wean"!  Whoever
>recommended that should be politely asked for the scientific rationale
>behind their recommendation.

No...the mother of the twins (the daughter of my friend) is being treated
for the allergy.  Sorry--the three generations involved seem to have
complicated this unnecessarily.

Alicia's was the only response to my query, so I will put it to the Lactnet
again (perhaps more clearly this time):

Mother has developed a generlized allergy from the gel used with the baby
monitors while in labor with twins.  Mother has been prescribed cortisone
and benadryl for the allergy, and told to pump and dump until she is through
with the medications.

My questions are: 1) Do these drugs indeed require breastfeeding to be
stopped? and 2) Could there be another more appropriate treatment for a
breastfeeding mother?

I'm counting on you guys out there to respond and educate me this time!

Margaret K.K. Radcliffe               [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Mining & Minerals Engr.
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA