From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 13:41:11 -0600
To : Sue Ann Kendall
Re:  Ritalin and lactation
From:  Red Book

RITALIN
Generic  = METHYLPHENIDATE HCL
Category = Mild  CNS stimulant, ADHD
No data is currently available on transfer into breastmilk.  Due to small
molecular weight and other kinetic data, one must assume that
methylphenidate readily enters breastmilk and would be absorbed by  the
infant.  Observe infant for hyperactivity, insomnia, agitation, and lack of
appetite.   A prolonged release tablet formulation  is commonly used and
would extend the half-life.    Risk of toxicity must be weighed against need
of mother.
 AHL= 1-3 hrs.
 PK = 1 - 3 hrs.

        I assume you meant Ritalin and not Reglan. Ritalin is a mild
stimulant that belongs to the amphetamine type family.  It is commonly used
to treat kids and adults with ADD.  Its use in a breastfeeding mom is
questionable however.  I would guess that it would stimulate the infant
significantly.

TWHale