From:
DEBechtel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:14:47 EST
Hi Lactnetters,
I'm a lurker more than a talker on here, but just have to add my .02 about the
cup feeding videos.  I'm about 3 days behind in reading so hope this isn't
redundant.  Ruth (of Verona) Sweet was kind enough to let me know about the
video she made and sells, and rushed me one in time for our all-staff "Basic
Breastfeeding Assistance" training this week.  It's about 5 minutes, a single
case study, and shows the LC teaching the mother how to cup feed her full term
(jaundiced, poorly nursing) baby with a medicine cup which is what we are using
on our unit.   It was very well received by the first two groups of RNs through
the training (we have 3 sessions to go) and they seem  excited about having this
new option.  They were also skill validated using a doll and a cup filled with
15 cc of water to get the hang of it.  I also like the portion of the video from
Sandra Lang's talk at ILCA last summer which shows various preterm babies being
cup-fed (and her lilting narration is pleasant to listen to).  I do not care for
the video sold by Ameda-Egnell which was displayed at ILCA (and a free copy won
by the president of our ILCA affiliate, Northern INdiana Lactation Consultant
Association).  IMO it was poorly photographed and the mother kept taking the cup
away from the baby which goes against all the guidelines I have read.  There was
a lot of crying from the baby and it was almost painful to watch.

Back to playing Lactnet catch-up between more staff training and my spring
semester studies beginning.

Diane Bechtel, IBCLC - hospital-based and private practice LC in Elkhart, IN