From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 23:15:33 -0400
Dr. Gartner stated today, "From time to time, messages on Lactnet contain
information that is not true.
This can be dangerous.  These errors are well-meant but result from
inadequate knowledge of a field, often a complex field.  I would like to
urge Lactnet authors to restrict their comments and advice to areas in which
they are expert, have significant experience and know the literature
thoroughly.  Someone asked me, specifically,  to pay attention to their
message about the need for the Academies to discipline their physicians when
they give inappropriate advice, such as prescribing juice to a young,
breastfeeding infant.  Inaccurate advice comes from all realms.  We all need
to be extremely circumspect about the advice we offer and the knowledge we
share.
                                                Larry Gartner
Lawrence M. Gartner, M.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Obstetrics/Gynecology"

Dr. Gartner, and all , this point is well taken. Please, let us always
remember to speak from our training, and from our hearts..and let us speak
only when we are sure of our information.  As you stated, there was no harm
intended..but there is potential for harm.

It is my opinion that nearly everyone on Lactnet are very careful (is that
*are* or *is*? ) to not give medical information, or dietary information,
etc...if that is not their specialty.

Thanks for this reminder. Yes, errors come from all areas...We are all
human, and as such, we make errors....most of the time unintentional..Your
point is well taken.

Kathleen Bruce
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Co-Owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L E-mail lists
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html
"The better part of one's life consists in his friendships." Abraham
Lincoln, 1849.