From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 14:48:25 -0400
Hi all. I realize that the temptation exists to refer mothers who have
severe bf challenges directly to Lactnet for further assistance.  We all get
those cases that just puzzle us..

However, Lactnet remains faithful to the original purpose..that of providing
a forum for *professional* support between those professionals (and other
interested parties...) who work with mothers and babies and families with bf
support.

Lactnet is not for mother to mother sharing, and we must not refer mothers
directly to Lactnet for assistance ever.  If someone needs assistance, I
will gladly refer them to IBCLCs in their area, using the ILCA guide. In the
same vein, we must not expect the other professionals on the line here, the
RDs, the MDs, etc...to provide one on one assistance, over computer lines.
Firstly, it is not really a good idea....not being able to see the patient
in question..and secondly, although we are all liberal with our own thoughts
and our time...giving to each other freely, it may start to feel like *work*
if we are asked to *treat* people over email.  If we treat people over
email, the same liability may exist as if had entered into a client/LC
relationship in our office, or in the hospital...That is how it works here
in Vermont with regard to my nursing license. Once I open my mouth to
someone , giving my opinion as a nurse (haven't we all had people ask
us..."Oh, can I get you to look at this ....?"....) I have entered into a
patient/client relationship, whether I got paid or not, or whether I meant
to or not.

We wouldn't want Lactnet involvement to become a burden for any subscriber.

Thanks for understanding.

Kathleen Bruce
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Co-Owner Lactnet, LLLOL, Corgi-L E-mail lists
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html