From:
Michele Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 15:46:54 +1000
I haven't read the original note that prompted this reply, But I wanted to
make a comment.In Australia all babies are tested for PKU,Hypothyroidism
Cystic  Fibrosis and or galactosaemia. All are done on heel prick blood
test after 48 hrs of Protein feeds (colostrum)the time being to get
accurate response for the pku.I've not heard of a change for this yet.
A dietitian at Royal Children's Hospital,Melbourne  Dorothy Francis has
developed a protocol for babies who are breastfeeding on diagnosis (usually
one week) to prevent their having to wean The usual management used to be
low phenylalanine formula, no breastfeeding.However she now has the mothers
express(pump) milk for 24hrs then depending on blood levels start with
small amounts of the low phenylalanine formula then a breastfeed.Dorothy
Francis presented a paper on her work at the Breasfeeding Conference in
Melbourne in August. Michele Meehan