From:
Susan Moxley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 21:49:29 -0300
Dear Kim

This is a better late than never response.  I did note the great job that
Kathryn Dettwyler did but I don't believe she included some of the articles
on the c\work done in New Zealand.

Ford, RPK,Taylor, BJ,Mitchell,EA, 1993. Breastfeeding and the risk of sudden
infant death syndrome. International Journal of Epidemiology 22(5) 885-890.

Mitchell EA, Scragg, R, Stewart, AW et al (27 February, 1991) Results from
the first year of the New Zealand cot death study. New Zealand Medical
Journal Cot Death Supplement.

As a result of this work Health Canada developed a beautiful poster with the
face of a sleeping baby and sweet dreams written on the top and at the
bottom Reduce the risk, To reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrom
(SIDS), Health Canada recommends that healthy infants be placed on their
back or side for sleep and that they be cared for in a smoke-free
environment.  Lightweight blankets and clothing should keep baby comfortable
but not too hot. Breastfeeding may also give some protection against SIDS

Copies can be ordered from 613-957-7193

Susan Moxley IBCLC