From:
MS CATHY LILES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 00:35:55 EDT
It seems like these calls come in bunches.  I got a call today from a
mother whose husband had unprotected sex with "someone else" and then
had unprotected sex with her. She is concerned about acquiring the
HIV virus.  She was almost hysterical and worried about her
breastfeeding baby, her pediatrician recommended weaning for safety.
How do you respond to this type of call?  We tried to educate her
about the risks, including a low risk of exposure to her from a
single incident (but you wonder if it was really the only one!) and a
low risk of transmission from breastmilk, we suggested her husband
and his other partner be tested immediately, she will be tested in 2
weeks and again in 6 months. We related the risks of formula use and
the current recommendations for HIV+ mothers and reminded her that
she did not fall into that category.  We suggested boiling expressed
milk and cup feeding until she got her husband's and partner's test
results as an option. This is in a fairly small town with a large HIV
population according to the local pharmacist. Should this knowledge
(that I should not have had) influence my information to her?  She
wasn't sure if the partner was male or female.  He wouldn't tell her
because she was hysterical and called her Dr. and everyone else
trying to get information. If he acquired the virus from this person,
could he pass it on to her the same day? If she acquired the virus
and is shedding a lot, would this put the baby at higher risk? How do
you support and inform someone in this situation when the unknowns
are so great?  What is our role as lactation consultants? My heart
really goes out to this mom, she was devastated! I would appreciate
your thoughts and ideas.  TIA, Cathy