From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 15:14:57 -0400
Hi, everyone:  As a quick addition to Lawrence Gartner's comments on
hepatitis, I just read the reference recently cited on Lactnet re
hepatitis C, which until recently has been listed as a contraindication
to breastfeeding.  The paper, by Lin H et al (The Journal of Pediatrics,
April 1995, Vol 126(4)pp589-91), followed 15 mother-baby pairs with
mother HCV positive.  Colostrum from all the mothers had both anti-HCV
antibodies and hepatitis C virus present in minute concentrations.  None
of the 11 breastfed babies (breastfed up to 4 months) became positive
even at a year's follow-up.  As for Ted Greiner's question about TB,
active untreated TB is a contraindication to breastfeeding, but
breastfeeding can be resumed after two weeks on medication.

As for Rush Limbaugh, I'm itching to respond but not having heard him,
I'd like to know more.  Could the person who heard his comment elaborate
on the context and quote him as completely as possible?

Denise Parker's comments on doula services being better than longer
hospital stays are certainly justified.  When I testified, I fully felt
the irony of arguing for longer hospital stays, but in the current
situation it seemed the lesser of two evils until proper post-partum
follow-up is the standard after early discharge.  Twenty years ago, in
view of the detrimental hospital practices, I would have been testifying
to the need for early discharge.  Although many hospitals still have
these practices, I'd rather fix the problems caused by these than have to
rescue more babies from severe complications of inadequate follow-up.

To Elizabeth Williams' comments about physicians and breastfeeding
support, I can only say: Amen and Hallelujah!