From:
Stephanie George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Sep 2022 12:04:08 -0400
Shekoli:

I agree with Holly. I completely agree that lactation has become western
medicalized. And it is a problem.

As an Indigenous person, I have teachings about the why and how of
breastfeeding/chestfeeding; traditional medicines; knowledge vs
instinct/reflex, etc. When those I work with who are Indigenous or not,
when they understand the why, they are more likely to fight through their
pain and other issues.

I say in full honesty, that in some circles, my traditional teachings were
not just ignored but derided. I am not the only Indigenous person who feels
this way and there are those who don't feel as I do.

I have moments in my memory from lactation conferences when my teachings
were seen as less than because there was no RCT to prove them safe. Things
were said to me directly, which is better than behind my back, I suppose.
Those same people forgot that there was no study to prove my teachings or
medicines were unsafe - even though there were thousands of years of use
which prove their efficacy.

Yes, I know there are exceptions to prove the rule. Most of those come from
cultural appropriation of our medicines and/or people using the medicines
without proper training.

When we start focussing on angles or nose touching, always demanding a
study to back things up, saying things like milk transfer, or saying it
'has' to look or be done one way, we get parents to see too many rules of
engagement and forget that it is the attachment of baby to parents, not the
breast, that means the most for the overall health of that family in the
early days and in life.

And that makes all of the difference.

Konikriio (with a Good Mind),
Steph George,