From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2020 07:39:02 +0000
Happy New Year to everyone.

When my eldest son was a baby we lived in Malawi, and he contracted malaria
five times between the age of 2 and 3.  So this study was of special
interest to me.

In a research ‘first’, a study of mothers with asymptmatic malaria in
Northern Uganda found that 15% of breast milk samples contain malaria
antigens.   Blood levels of malaria antigens determine their levels in
breast milk. Important because the levels and the nature of malaria
antigens in breast milk may strongly influence immune responses to malaria
infections in children who are breastfed.  The findings should pave the way
for novel and efficient strategies for malaria prevention that are adapted
to early childhood.  Van den Elsen et al, Malaria Antigen shedding in the
breast milk of mothers from a region with endemic malaria.  *JAMA
Pediatr. *Published
online January 6, 2020. doi:https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.5209

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England