Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 16:43:08 -0400
> I have pondered this thought train a lot in the last few seasons.  I am real tired of the anti farming thought train from both of them.  It seems environmentalist have taken over and only that viewpoint makes it in,  BC was first  but ABJ has been shifting.

> That said,  these are our publications.  Look at the list of writers in ABJ as of late,  lots of new faces.  We need to write and submit arcticles and change the tone ourselves,  not just walk away and let them fade.

Charles, thank you for your submission. I have been swamped with work and beekeeping conferences this summer, and I am still adjusting to my role as editor. I want to give your submission a fair and careful evaluation. As it is beyond my area of expertise and focused on large scale agricultural farming, I wanted to educate myself more before editing, so that I am better informed to understand the statements.

My goal is always to offer a balanced viewpoint and I welcome submissions from a wide variety of writers. I wish more sideliners and commercial beekeepers submitted articles. I have reached out to several, but most of them lead very busy lives and don't have extra time to write. The current September issue features Troy Hall, a commercial beekeeper in the north, strongly influenced by both Kirk Webster and Michael Palmer. When the original submission didn't include many details on his actual queen rearing process, I reached out to Troy to learn more specific details of his process from grafting to mating nuc.

And yes, I fully agree, both bee magazines are most certainly your publications! I can only create issues from the articles I receive. Please keep submissions coming and help shape ABJ so it becomes a magazine that fulfills your needs.

As to the beginner articles, I try to include 1 or 2 per issue, as readers have requested them. The goal is that all of the new beekeepers getting into bees have good advice on mite management and colony health, so their problems don't become their neighbor's problems. Every issue contains 10-16 or more articles and we have a broad readership. We don't expect every article to meet all of our reader's needs, but we hope you learn something from every single issue.

So please, send me submissions of articles you would like to read. I'm always willing to work with beekeepers, who are not experienced writers, helping to polish the work. My goal is never to shift an author's voice, only to improve clarity for our readers.

Sincerely,
Kirsten S. Traynor
Editor
American Bee Journal