From:
Deborah Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2018 17:18:55 -0400
I am puzzled by the disclaimer at the end of Randy Oliver's article, "The Varroa Problem Part 17c:  Being Part of the Solution". I would think that any article expresses the views of the author and may not agree with the views of the editorial staff.

I did not see any disclaimers following other articles, such as "The Bee Sanctuary Movement", where the author states that "the Bello Uccello Honey Bee Sanctuary run a Demeter-certified biodynamic sanctuary and state on their website that commodification and enslavement of the honey bee has created a 'death culture' through hive exposure to neonics, herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and monoculture crops leaving bees with compromised immune systems." The author does state that this is an "extreme view" but where is the editorial disclaimer (or the science to back up those claims)?

I was considering dropping my subscription before this month's disclaimer because I am finding the new focus on beginners and the level of author experience (articles that begin with "I am entering my second year of beekeeping") to not be useful. Also, I find a page directed at kids a little strange in a magazine which used to be written for adults. Having a disclaimer following an article by an author who actually keeps bees successfully, does his own research, and communicates with many other researchers, tells me that my view does not always agree with the editorial staff, and it is time to write a letter to the editor.

Regards,
Debbie Hewitt in Maryland