Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2016 10:28:03 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
Kris: I hear moms say "I know I'm not supposed to pump for 6 weeks" and I do not know where they are hearing or reading this. 

Like Laurie said, pumping is usually not necessary unless a mom is going back to work or there is a problem that pumping will help resolve. 

To Kris: 

I have heard other LCs I work with say the same thing. My usual response to mothers who ask when they should start pumping, especially now that most moms get a pump through insurance before discharge, is to say that they *might* find it helpful if their initial volume surge is resulting in more than baby can take at a feeding and then only "for comfort" not to express all that is left, because their body needs to adapt to what baby needs, not what the baby *and* pump can draw out. I then go on to discuss how they can start pumping to save for their return to work sometime around the end of the first month when baby should be feeding pretty effectively and then only once or twice a day after a feeding. 

Ler me know if you want to know more detail about my "pumping talk" to new mothers. 

Judy: For inpatient lactation services, Do you see every patient every day? 
or do you have criteria that triggers a consult? If so would you share what criteria? 
Also, does the bedside nurse do any of the breastfeeding education? 
Thanks 

For Judy: 

I work in a large hospital that sees 8,000-10,000 births per year. We have 5 full time and two casual IBCLCs, which means there are usually three working any one day and sometimes four. 

* We cannot see every mother so we have developing criteria for requesting a consult yet there are many MDs who write for a consult because they value us and want to have all their patients seen. 
    * The criteria include (but are not limited to): no latch by 24 hours, sore nipples or breasts, multiple birth, premature baby, history of lactation issues with previous child/ren, nipple or breast abnormalities, flat/inverted nipples, if compliment feedings are indicated. 
    * Most nurses have taken the CBC course and are expected to assist with feedings and are required to observe a feeding once per shift, although charting does not suggest this is being done. 

Hope that is helpful. 

Cindy Garrison BS, IBCLC 
practicing in Pittsburgh, PA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2