From:
Emily Samansky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2015 07:58:48 -0400
I joined a few years ago, when I became an LLLL, at the suggestion of Dana Lauducci.  I've only ever "known" her online, through a number of forums, but she has always made sure that my lactation information is up to date!  I joined the Facebook group first and it's easy for me to check on my phone as I'm chasing my kids throughout the day.  I do read every listserv digest that comes into my email box, but posting requires sitting down at a computer, and with three kids, I don't get to do that very often.

I wasn't going to post to this thread until this morning, when I had one of those moments that reminds me of the great value of learning from the best.  I'm helping a mom via email.  She's across the country from me and I've never met her.  She has been diagnosed with thrush 5 times in a year (!) and lives in a rural area with little access to in-person help.  Based on her descriptions, she seems to have signs of mammary constriction syndrome.  Where else would I ever have heard of that?  I was able to share the pectoral massage techniques from Jack Newman's clinic, and send her the information to contact him if the pain continues.  At least I could give her a clue, based on what I've learned from LN.

Most memorable for me were Jean Cotterman's many reminders that vacuums don't pull, other forces push.  I suggest RPS regularly and remind moms with sore nipples to turn the pump suction down.

Emily Samansky
LLLL, Andover, MA