From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2015 18:11:04 -0400
My apologies for trying to type in the car, using voice software to have it
type for me.

I should not have hit send. I am embarassed and apologetic. Here is my
amended and shortened post.

Good afternoon all. Since people are speaking of the virtues of Social
Media versus listserv software, I just want to make it clear in case people
did not know that Lactnet on Facebook..although  it shares a name, has no
connection with the Facebook group other than the name. It's not that it's
a bad group. Au contraire, it's a different thing, apples and oranges....

When Lactnet started in 1995, computer use in the home was fairy new. I
wanted to build a tool to help a LLL friend of mine who is isolated ..
Kathy Auerbach helped me get the word out by a letter to the editor (her)
and after we got listserv space at UMed Medical school, she and I worked
 together until she left ..since then Lactnet has evolved into a fully
functioning tool for lactation professionals, complete with lots of options
for listserv function that most people do not use, (settings for nomail,
mail, individual mail, digests, indexing).. We have 20 years of archives,
right from day one, on the computers at LSoft which are generously donated
to us due to the fact that they see us as a valuable tool to the community
and world at large. Lactnet won an award for most innovative list some
years back, and that was going up against huge lists that work to the good
for  causes such as FibroML, Kidney-Onc etc. Yay us.In 2005-6 we won for
Best Overall List and an Innovation award. Double whammy. Award in my house
to prove it (nice Swedish crystal thing).

Lactnet has  members numbering over 3000 from 54 different countries.. We
have 20 years of listserv archives which is really a remarkable amount of
information in terms of the chronology and history of our profession.

We have had some remarkable people come and go in the 20 years that I
worked with this list including , some retiring, some passing : ( , but not
limited to the amazing group that volunteers to manage the list now..and
also many many others, Jack Newman, Catherine Watson Genna, Katherine
Dettwyler, L Jean Cotterman, Barbara Wilson Clay,  Marsha Walker, Tom
Hale.. Frank Nice ..I count all of you among my friends, hopefully, and
there are many others too numerous to mention but not less valuable. (plus
my brain doesn't retain info like it did 20 years ago).

It is important to say that  I am thankful for the many people who have
contributed a great deal to the conversations and observations and
illuminations that have come from the discussions here over the past 20
years.  It is enlightening, funny, sad, and sometimes tragic, what we
learn, but there is always an important tidbit amonst the daily
digests.....The past 20 years of indication and discussion and networking
have forged many worldwide colleagial friendships that will last forever.

In making this list, our  legacy is that we all have created it together
 so that others can study and follow the  innovation and growth of our
profession with its mistakes and misconceptions along with its great
successes.

 I consider one mother and baby who breast-feed when they were about ready
to give up without the help here, us helping each other to help those moms
and babies... to be an amazing success and my best work of my life. I have
been a hospital RN, a hospital IBCLC, an in home IBCLC, a LLLeader, a
Mother of three breastfed girls, a grandmother of one 16 mo old
breastfeeding little man, and I have fixed formula at LLL meetings for
tearful mothers whose supplies were lost due to the situations that she
faced without proper support. It's been a long and wonderful road for me,
and with your help, Lactnet will keep on being the great place it has
always been. We have had our troubles, but to my knowledge, no one has been
whacked  behind my woodpile, /shed/etc. Not too hard anyway.  We do keep to
a minimum of rules, and try to protect people's right to speak freely
without censorship, and that is tricky sometimes, but we do our best and
always have.

In any case, my life's work is  helping mothers and babies to breastfeed.
One pair  at a time,  for last 32 years. Now I help my daughters, and their
friends, and the odd one that pops up, but it's o longer my daily work. I
am now learning to dye wool, weave, use a drum carder, and I am working on
color theory and how to make one heckuva baby blanket on my 8H Swedish
loom. Jim and I play in water, and sand, and go to the park, and I am lucky
to have my family around me. My husband of 37 years is my dear one, and I
am blessed in so many ways.

It is imperative to  keep the  discussions, the networking, the thinking
outloud going  strong so that younger members will pick up the gauntlet and
continue to build the body of science upon which our profession will stand
steadily upon. That is our hope and our work for the future of lactation
consulting as a profession.

It is not one person or one set of people who are important on Lactnet
.it's not the doctors, the IBCLCs, or the ones with the names we
know...though they are wonderful. It's the  iday-to-day conversation from
every single person who takes the time to post a question and look for the
answers in an intelligent thoughtful and scientifically sound manner who is
important.  This is the work of Lactnet, and that Means you!  You are the
heart and soul of Lactnet.

I fully expect some day that Lactnet  will no longer exist present form as
communication styles change and technology improves. However I hope the
spirit of LACTNET will grow and live on as people realize how important it
is to make sure that every mother and baby who want to breast-feed deserve
to, and they need  the best science, the best help that is available to
them,  no matter who they, no matter their race, creed, socioeconomic
status, or sexual preference. Breastfeeding is for those who mother
children. Let's help 'em.

NUTS AND BOLTS: If you want a more immediate feedback experience,  set
yourself to individual mail and you will have many messages to contemplate
throughout the day. To do this, send a message to

[log in to unmask] that reads

Set Lactnet Mail

and you will change from digest to individual message format.

 It is with great enthusiasm, love,  and thanks that I thank all 3000+ of
you. Thanks for making Lactnet what I had hoped it might be 20 years ago.
You've done me one better and outstripped my fondest hopes. Blessings to
all from Vermont.

Love, Kathleen, RN, IBCLC , and Grandmother

Kathleen B.  Bruce RN IBCLC
Vermont .. USA

Kathleen B. Bruce RN BSN IBCLC

HeritageWoolSamplers