From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 2015 14:04:36 -0400
Good morning all. It's fun for me to see this...and yes, Sue, I do sleep
with my dog. : ) A little King Charles Cavalier *Ruby* named Scout. : )

I started this group in March of 1995 after having the original idea for a
group for new owners of Corgi Dogs (Pembroke). I had my first dog then,
Ollie, who lived to be 14, and I started Corgi L at the time, the first
group I tried.

Then I called Kathleen Auerbach, as she was the JHL editor at the time, and
asked her about the idea of starting a similar group for Lactation
folk...and here we are, 20+ years later. She suggested that I write a
letter to the editor, and I did, and I went ahead and started it with a
friend's help from Univ of Mass Med School, and the server eventually
migrated over to LSoft, the owners of the listserv software, who awarded
Lactnet an innovation award a few years ago for contribution to the general
good...etc. I am proud of Lactnet, and more so, of the people who are on
it. You all come from all walks of life, MDs, RNS, IBCLCS, RDS, etc, so
many people interested in supporting mothers and babies. I originally
wanted to start it because my friend, Melissa Vickers, now retired IBCLC,
was very isolated in the world of lactation, and we wanted to network and
get up a group to support those who were professionally isolated and
working in the field, which was so young at that point. We are still here,
and I am proud of this group, of all of you who keep working every day,
mother by mother, baby by baby, and continue to learn more and more of the
science behind Lactation. I don't have anything to do with Lactnet on
Facebook. I think the reason that this group does so well, and has 20 years
of archives to prove it, is because we are patient and professional with
each other, and we have a group of moderators who are patient and
professional and dedicated to providing their time for free to this group.
I now am not technically reading each note, but I have my eye on it, and
will til I die.... you guys rock.

And may I always have the good fortune to sleep with my dog. (and my lovely
husband, Jamie, of 35 years). Blessings to you all. Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
in Vermont. PS If anyone is ever on the way up to Vermont and wants to stop
by for tea, give me a yell! We have members in 54 countries, and I am
astounded at the connections made by the presence of this list. The
friendships, the family connections, and the babies and mothers helped.  A
gift to the world, although we did not know what it would be that day in
March, 1995. It never occurred to me....how large it would become...an
energy for good in the world. you all keep going! Love, Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce RN BSN IBCLC
​Lactnet co mother, emeritus
Lactnet originator​

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HeritageWoolSamplers