From:
Tina Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2015 00:13:43 -0700
I joined Lactnet in 2003, when I began my
dissertation on "The Milk of Human Kindness:
Breastfeeding Policy in the US" at the University
of California Berkeley. I have been on Lactnet
ever since, through my too-brief career as a
Research Scientist in the Breastfeeding Program
of the California State Health Department's
Maternal Child Health Branch.

In fact, I actually downloaded every one of those
90,000 Lactnet posts (using Eudora email
software). Thus I was able to do Rachel's search
exercise just now on my own hard drive, not
through the website. (Thank you for that
exercise, btw! I had missed reading Jacqui's
stunning 2008 post at the time.)

What a wealth of old and new, helpful and
inspiring, breastfeeding-related posts right at
my fingertips! I can't imagine ever using
Facebook as a resource like this.

Perhaps the post I use the most is Dianne
Weissinger's extortion to Watch Our Language. How
important it is to be aware that the "Merchants
of Doubt" have infiltrated our brains, so that we
unconsiously say "Breastfeeding makes you
smarter", rather than "Formula makes you
stupider"! I've gone on to use that principal of
the physiologic norm in other areas of
child-rights activism too.

Tina

Tina Kimmel, PhD, MSW, MPH