From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2014 08:20:50 -0500
Have to say that I am horrified by suggestions that honey should be fed back
to colonies other than to the one that produced it of course (but in that
case why take it off them in the first place?).  What better way to spread
disease!

This is the interesting point,  especially on feeds there is a wide spread
on information,  from don't let the bees clean up supers that are not
theirs,  to honey is the only food for bees.

This is one area (of many in beekeeing)  that the answers are very muddled
and confused.  It is impossible to make a successful summer splits for
spring without doing one of the two in most parts of the country.  Here in
the Midwest a july split can not forage enough to raise brood and sufficient
stores.  Choices have to be made.

I am no expert on Gene or his work,  but from what little I know of what hes
researching, and what I read, I would say he was not trying to point to a
conclusion on winter feeds, just that the bees bodies see these foods
differently and what information went with it concerning fat bodies.

Charles