From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2014 16:46:24 +0100
>I can see how this may be relevant in the northern climes where months at a time can pass without a single day of flying weather, but the advantage might be offset in these post-varroa times where immunity against pathogens could be more important.

All honeys are not equal!  There are at least two important factors:

High glucose and therefore rapidly granulating honey, e.g. oilseed rape and ivy, may be difficult for the bees to use unless they are able to access water.

High pollen content honey, e.g. heather (Calluna vulgaris), may cause problems with the amount of solids having to be retained in the gut during prolonged cold weather.  In the past heather honey was usually regarded as a poor winter food, but with milder winters these days we find it to be excellent.  With the exception of one particularly hard winter, over the past 30+ years our heather colonies have always been the best ones the following spring.  I assume that all that pollen in the honey makes it a great resource for rearing new brood and gives them a head start.

Have to say that I am horrified by suggestions that honey should be fed back to colonies other than to the one that produced it of course (but in that case why take it off them in the first place?).  What better way to spread disease!

Best wishes

Peter
52°14'44.44"N, 1°50'35"W