From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2013 13:58:58 -0400
Hi All,
Permission from mother to post this query:
Mom is 31 years old currently nursing her 9 month old daughter four times per day. She had an enjoyable experience nursing her first child (who is now almost three years old), and is having an uneventful, again enjoyable time breastfeeding now. Her question has to do with periodic detection of lumps in her breasts. We have determined they aren't plugged ducts. She visited her PCP in January, 2013 for a recurring lump under her left arm (armpit), ultrasound determined it was a lymph node. Her physician was not concerned. Mom has detected (always by manual self-exam) movable lumps in her breasts since her college days (about 10 years ago) and was told she has "fibrous breasts" (mom's quote/description). In the past two months she has done her monthly self exam and detected lumps that feel "different" than the previous. Her description, "they are smaller, like the head of a pin, more solid, not like the moveable pockets I've felt before."  She reports no changes in skin appearance, nipple appearance, discharge (other than milk, and that looks like it always has), and no breast refusal. No history of mastitis, never had a bleb. She called into our hospital's Lactation Line wondering if this came under the classification of "normal breast changes during breastfeeding." She is not in pain. She is just curious, and also admitted that since she's been pregnant and breastfeeding for the past three years, her awareness of her body has changed, where she feels she may be over-worrying. I did not feel comfortable telling her she was probably fine, but offered to present her to the LactNet for discussion. Any information would be deeply appreciated, both for her peace of mind, and for my continuing education.
Thank you!
Leslie Cree