Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 11:40:45 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)

A few years ago, I was in Toronto, speaking at a conference. My adult daughter lived nearby and was off work that day, so she came to listen to my talk and join me for lunch. I mentioned in my presentation that my daughter was here, and talked about how she had breastfed until just before her fifth birthday. 

After my talk, when we were sitting down for lunch, a couple of the conference participants approach my daughter and asked her if it embarrassed or upset her that I talked about her breastfeeding until she was four. She said "Why on earth would I be embarrassed because my mother gave me the best possible nutrition for as long as I wanted it? What's embarrassing about that?" She told me afterwards that she was completely puzzled that someone would even ask that - especially someone at a breastfeeding conference!

So will the little boy on the magazine cover be embarrassed? I agree with the others who think it's highly unlikely that anyone will remember this in ten years, but even if they do, perhaps he'll be confident enough to say: "I don't see anything to be embarrassed about."

Teresa Pitman

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2