From:
Heidi DiBacco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:20:22 -0800
Dear Lactnet friends

Nikki accuses the WIC program of accepting "kickbacks" from the formula industry
for the formula it "gives away".

She further implies that the program is funded by these kickbacks and she
wonders how programs who are successful in their breastfeeding efforts survive
without these kickback funds.

she goes on to say: " In other words, the more formula WIC distributes, the more
services WIC can provide."

The silent accusation I hear is that WIC may only be half heartedly promoting
breastfeeding otherwise they would cease to exist.

I would like to clarify that the WIC program is funded by the taxpayers not the
formula industry. WIC does not "give away" formula. Mr. & Mrs. tax payer pay for
it. WIC uses taxpayer finds to purchase formula from stores in the form of
vouchers given to the mother. WIC then needs to pay the store for fulfilling the
voucher. The contracted formula manufacture gives WIC a rebate (a portion paid
by WIC comes back to WIC) on the formula purchased by WIC dollars. These rebate
funds do not fund the program, but reduce the amount paid for a particular brand
(the contracted brand) of formula. The more WIC dollars that go to purchase
formula  the less money WIC has to spend on other foods for mothers and
children. There are no incentives to give ever increasing amounts of formula
since WIC does not get "extra" money for suppling formula.

I think this is a big difference!
You can read more about it here:
 http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err22/err22e.pdf

We all know there are women who can not or will not breastfeed, the formula WIC
provides helps ensure that babies will be fed a more nutritious food than
straight cow's milk or orange soda. It is my highest hope that as we all work
together to change the way that hospitals, work places and society supports
breastfeeding that more and more women, including the low income women that WIC
serves, would feel more supported and able to breastfeed. Could you imagine a
world where there are so many breastfeeding that the surplus could be used by
those women unable to breastfeed?

Heidi DiBacco
IBCLC in WIC, who would be very happy to work myself out of a job.