From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:36:49 -0800
Heather asks: "Oh my goodness......who is doing this? Is this a New York Manhattan madness thing??? !"

NOOOO -  I believe it is the "unexpected consequence" of the "Google" generation!  Moms go on-line with key words such as fussy baby, green stool, etc...  Find ONE or TWO articles that seem to find the solution - and off they go...generalizing it to every time a baby has gas, spits up, is fussy....needs "hindmilk".  We even had a dad INSIST his wife pump and pitch the "weak" milk for his STRONG baby!

By the way, I often spend time during visits providing anticipatory guidance on the above issues (You know, babies DO have gas when they digest - as do we all <grin>...you know, babies DO spit up at times - and there are many possible reasons, many of which do not require "treatment"...babies NEED us even when they're not hungry...etc.)
I'm hoping this will lead to an e-mail or call if they have questions, rather than Google-ing!

This is one reason I love Secrets of Baby Behavior - www.secretsofbabybehavior.com - I refer moms to this website, which explains that babies who do all of the above are NORMAL and we need NORMAL PARENTING SKILLS to deal with them, instead of "fixing" the baby with medications, training (like sleep training), and alterations of the milk as described in previous posts.

They now have created a website for us - www.babybehaviorist.com - the professionals working with moms who are encouraging appropriate responsiveness to babies - breastfeeding or not - following infant cues and learning what babies really NEED instead of the sites that imply the baby is "just manipulating you"...

We need as many tools as possible in our toolkit - and  good "Google-able" websites for parents to find!

...by the way, I receive no payment for endorsing these websites!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA

(Oh my gosh, I guess we'll next be contacted by Bing and Firefox for not mentioning THEIR search engines?)