From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:42:33 -0500
In some Canadian breastfeeding info sheets, it's suggested that a newborn's
bowel movement should be at least the size of a loonie. The loonie is the
Canadian dollar coin. I don't know exactly how big it is - bigger than an
American quarter, though. But a few years ago I had an email from someone
(cannot now remember who) from the US, who had seen one of these info sheets
and wanted to know what a loonie was. She thought it might be the Canadian
name for a baby loon. It really made me laugh, as I imagined women out
hunting for loon chicks to measure their baby's stools against.

As far as returning to birthweight - when I had my first baby, breastfeeding
was very regulated (two minutes per side the first day, four minutes per
side the second day, and only feeding every four hours). Most of the doctors
at the time only expected breastfed babies to be back up to birthweight at
four weeks.

I do see that babies born at home, and fed on cue, tend to be over their
birthweight by five days or so. I think it's a combination of having an
uncomplicated birth, without interventions, and being able to truly feed the
baby as often as the baby wants.

Teresa Pitman