From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:11:52 -0500
Sorry, another one on oversupply, but this one has quite a twist to it!  The
mom is pumping 15 oz/ 5 times a day !  Her baby is a month old.  Mom is 25
and tells me she is only going to do this for 3 months and has a freezer
full.  (deep freezer)  She has done a test run to make sure there is no
lipase problem, which there wasn't.

There is more to this story than I have time to share .
(yeast/frenulum/ongoing tenderness) . but I have a question about the amount
of milk and any possibility of too much lactose in that larger quantity?  I
have never heard that!  I NEVER question the quality of the milk!  But the
mom has called complaining of lots of spit up/ throwing up.  Between feeds/
after feeds/ during feeds.  Using avent bottle, slow flow nipple, paced
bottle feeds, and he is only taking 3 oz every 3 hours or so.   (he
continues to gain well )

I suggested she try different bottles to see if he did better with a
different kind.

I also suggested she mix the entire 15 oz together well and then pour into 3
oz increments for his bottles and for freezing.

I have never dealt with THIS much oversupply.

So.should I be looking at the milk or something else?  I am assuming that as
long as it is all mixed well, that the milk should be fine, but maybe there
is something out there about extremely large milk productions being higher
in lactose or something???  She did tell me that she drinks LOTS of cow milk
- always has.  So I suggested she stop the cow milk consumption to see if
that made a difference, tho she does not describe any mucus in the diaper
and the baby isn't very gassy or fussy.  (???)

Help please!  Thank you!

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC

Capital Pediatric Group