From:
Marie Ivey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 09:06:33 -0400
Hi Terriann,
So glad you asked! Visitors have been a HUGE problem at our hospital in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Moms go home exhausted and frustrated. We have just started a new program called, "Serenity Time". In the last 6 weeks since we began...we have had a very positive response from staff and patients. We have had a few frustrated visitors, but the word is getting out and this seems to be getting better. One of our LCs did a spot on a local news station, we had an article on the front page of the newspaper, we announce it in all of our prenatal classes, nurses tell moms on admission, signs on all of the doors, and we include a one page announcement in the registration packets. Below are the basics of the program...as you might guess...those of us working in lactation LOVE IT!
Good Luck,
Marie Ivey, BSN, RN, CLC

1.*Serenity time* is from 2:30 pm-4:30 pm every day.
2.At 2:20 pm every day, someone will announce: "Serenity Time will begin in Single Room Maternity Care at 2:30pm.  All visitors are asked to exit the unit at this time…  Visitors will be accepted again at 4:30 pm today”
3.All lights will be turned down in halls
4.No overhead paging unless emergent
5.No staff rounds during this time unless it is a scheduled procedure that cannot be worked in at a different time
6.No phone calls will be transferred into rooms via main switch board.  Patients will be able to receive calls that are direct dials into the room.  Patients will be able to make calls out.  Patients should be encouraged to turn off their phone ringers during this time.
7.Serenity time signs will be posted on the outside of the patients door to notify and discourage visitors.
8.Note pads will be placed at the nurses desk for visitors to leave a note for the patient if they happen to come during serenity time.
9.We will not restrict visitation if patient desires to have visitors during this time only encourage participation.
10.All Pod waiting areas must be limited to visitors who are seated in chairs and quiet.
11.Nurses will not round routinely during these two hours but will be available if needed by the patient.
12.All other services will be suspended for these two hours...housekeeping, newborn hearing testing, birth certificate secretary, "picture lady", etc.