From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:22:06 +1000
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 Sr Hettie Grove wrote:

"I have tried to access the archive but couldnt find anything.Is there
anyone of you ladies who have any experience with the Tommee Tippi,
Ameda,Lansinoh  and ENA breastpumps.Any pros and cons and knowledge and tips
Thank you all"

Hi Hettie,

It is always good to make sure our mothers are proficient at expressing by
hand before they depend on a manual pump. Then, if it breaks or doesn't work
effectively, they can fall back on hand expression.  A while ago a mother
who had to go to classes told me how desperate she was when the handle on
her manual pump broke and she was stuck because of flooding. She was
desperate to get another pump, and hadn't really considered hand expressing.
An electric pump would have been useless with electric power unpredictable.

I find it is a good idea to test any personal pump against a blown-up
balloon.  One of my clients came with a brand new pump, just out of the box,
and it didn't generate enough negative pressure to move the balloon at all.
It was a prominent brand, too; which just shows it pays to check.

Sometimes mothers buy pumps, or ask about them, when there may be no reason
for them, except expectations that it is an "essential" item.  They sit in
the cupboard till the next baby, by which time the seals may have
deteriorated.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA

Private Practice Lactation Consultant

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

E: [log in to unmask]