Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:56:07 -0400
> In reference to Bill T's comments it seems to me that the articles being
> referred to are talking about parts-per-trillion exposure levels and not
> part-per-billion or parts-per-million.

What it took to kill them was 1picogram each day for ten days. Not ppt.

If you put one picogram (10E-12) in 1 ml of water you get 1 ppt. One gram of
anything in one gram of water (one ml) is 1:1so you start from there to get
pp anything..

There is a difference with 1 picogram, a mass measurement, and one ppt a
ratio.

What they were fed was not 1ppt.  To get one picogram into them at one ppt
would have required them to injest one ml (10E-3) of the feed every day.

I tried to find the actual size of the bee's stomach and the closest I came
to was about 100 microliters (10E-6 liters) max for the honey stomach with
the norm  about 50 microliters, but never found anything dealing with its
actual stomach.

So using the honey stomach as the same as its actual stomach, the bee would
have to eat 10 servings over a day to get the picogram with the least number
of feedings, but 20 if you took the norm, and that is based on the honey
stomach since I do not know what the actual stomach size is.

Max honey stomach = 10E-4. 1ml=10E-3 So you need 10 empty stomachs to get
10E-3 or 1ml to eat 1 picogram of Imid at 1ppt.

Add that most research I saw in my attempt to see what the serving size was
said that a bee would normally take maybe three to five feedings over a day,
and not what would fill their actual stomach. So, based on my calculations,
which I cannot stand by because of incomplete data, but they certainly are
close, the concentrations had to be much higher than 1 ppt and that was
reflected in the study.

The studies point was not that 1 ppt would kill a bee but that 1 picogram
would. Big difference. If the feed was 1ppt, the bee would be fine.

All this started because of the same statement that 1ppt is what it took to
kill the bees. They were not fed 1ppt becasue it is impossible to kill them
with 1 ppt. One picogram, according to the study, will over 10 days, but not
1 ppt. (Please note another factor of 10.)

(I know I have said the same thing again and again, so forgive me. But there
is a difference between mass and ratios.)

Did I mention that there is a difference with 1 picogram, a mass
measurement, and one ppt a ratio?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine