Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:35:51 -0600
> Here is a formula used by a commercial beek in Colorado.

I have no opinion one way or the other -- OK, I am a bit skeptical, but I am
skeptical about everything.  Just because the sun came up today and
yesterday and the day before... -- but I have to wonder how these amounts
and proportions are decided and how anyone knows if they work or not.

I realize they smell nice, but our various scientists have examined them
repeatedly, but few have been able to recommend them in the definite way
that 'commercial beekeepers' are.

I recall Adony gave presentations back around the turn of the century about
his work under Mark Winston testing a wide range of oils showing that there
is some efficacy for various purposes, but not offering any recommendations
that I can recall.

We have commercial spice formulations offered for mite control, but they
have been found to be variable in their effectiveness.

I can recall that tea tree oil was all the rage a while back.  It was a
panacea, too.  Where did that one go?

We know that the Carl Hayden Bee Research Centre people have been playing
with oils.  I seem to have missed any definite conclusions or formulas or
products coming out of that.

My impression from the ABF conference was that everyone has, in a sense,
given up and we have now resorted to 'magic', since science has not
delivered a respite form CCD whatever it is.  We had a main-session
presentation on coconut oil (of all things) by a fellow who has just tried
it for one year.

That said, Dave Wick, a virus-whiz lab guy from Montana said that he had
used a proprietary essential oil formula on his twelve hives and that his
bee viruses had seemingly disappeared.  That got my attention, BUT, again,
it is a one-year, uncontrolled anecdotal report.

If this stuff is good and it works...

Where is the science?