From:
"Sara D. Roos" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 04:19:24 -0500
Many years ago I worked on a study linking hair dyes and pediatric
cancer.  Since then there have been many studies and meta-analyses of
hair dye and its cancer risk with inconclusive results.  It's a hard
thing to study.  And the evidence is unclear in terms of passing
along a definite "No".  Still ... personally, I wouldn't do it.
(Because the link cannot be irrefutably established does not mean the
link is nonexistent).  How the chemicals will affect a baby or mom's
milk is probably foggier still.  But it is certain that these hair
dyes are very strong, very toxic chemicals.  The time when a mom is
nursing might be a time when she would wish to err on the side of
safety?  ... and of a relatively toxin-free life.  If it seems the
mom is willing to listen to the possibility of refraining I would try
to encourage that.

Nevertheless, note that Tom Hale states "absorption of these agents
through the skin is minimal".  He adds that discarding milk for 4
hours after the procedure could be a safety precaution but he doesn't
think it's necessary.

That's the evidence.  Emotionally, I would stay clear all the same!!
But how this fits with mom's "need" is important of course.  If she
feels it's critical for her own sense of self, then probably the
evidence doesn't irrefutably trump her need.