From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 18:22:57 -0800
Norma, you are so right about the importance of all our lives, and of our work with mothers and children.  What a difference this work makes.

Thank you for singing for Kathy.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC, RLC
Salt Lake City, USA
Thuwal, KSA

Date:    Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:41:27 -0500
From:    Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: unsung heroes

I have just learned of the death of an old friend, Kathy Root. Kathy worked
for many years as an RN and an IBCLC at Arnot Ogden Medical Center, in
Elmira,NY, until she developed early-onset Alzheimers. Her obituary is
below.

Why am I writing about Kathy?  She did not write any books or articles, she
did not present sessions at conferences, and few people outside her town
knew her name. What she did was to be there for the hundreds and thousands
of women who passed through the maternity unit, hoping to nurse their
babies.

There are many IBCLCs just like Kathy. They do their jobs quietly and are
known and appreciated only by their clients and colleagues. They are the
unsung heroes of the lactation world, and I would like to take this
opportunity to thank them.

Goodbye, Kathy. We will miss you.

*ROOT, Kathryn R. (Callihan)
*Age 57, of Millport, passed away after an extended illness. She was born in
North Adams, MA, the daughter to E. Gene and Alberta (Griffin) Callihan. She
is survived by her husband, Ronald; children, Jonan (Apryl Hendricks) Root
of Newport News, VA, Caylen (Katelyn) Root of Parkersburg, WV, Arika (Frank
Chalk Jr.) Root of Rochester, NY, Gavin Root of Millport, NY;
granddaughters, Josalyn and Makenna Root; mother, Alberta Callihan of
Horseheads, NY; brothers, Donald (Sally) Callihan of Cockeysville, MD,
Howard (Cindy) Callihan of Vermont, Daniel (Carol) Callihan of Central
Islip, NY, David Callihan of Tallahassee, FL. Kathy was a Registered Nurse
and lactation consultant having worked at AOMC for 30 years. She loved to
read fiction novels, Joe Montana, and spending time with her family. Family
and friends are invited to call at the Barber Funeral Home, 413 S. Main St.,
Horseheads, NY on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2010, from 4-6:00 p.m. Her service will
take place in the Church of Christ on Miller Street, Horseheads on Wed. at
11:00 a.m. with the Rev. Steve Connors. Interment in Bath National Cemetery.

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC
Breastfeeding Matters in the Capital Region
www.NormaRitter.com
http://normaritter.blogspot.com/
http://www.communitycradle.org/resourcesandpublications.html