Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 04:58:17 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
Rowena, thank you for a chuckle to start my day (the doctor telling the mom that drinking soda would give the baby gas), although I am sure it was not funny to you.  As we say in the South, sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.  We have all been there!
OTOH, had one of the most amazing experiences yesterday that will keep me stoked for a while: 20-year-old young girl with cardiac surgery x 2 history, told she could never have children, did in fact conceive and able to carry to 32 weeks, when she was delivered by c-section because of increasing pre-eclampsia.  So I go in the room and this tiny young girl is lying there surrounded by family with the O2 cannula in her nose, and just beams when I tell her I'm there to help her pump.  Hops up a little higher in the bed with her handsome military husband's help and is just ready to go, gets 10-15 ccs gorgeous golden colostrum in no time, all the while telling me (a little breathlessly  because of her condition) how she still can't take it in that she is now a MOTHER, and never thought it would happen.  She's holding the flanges with her puffy, clubbed fingers (from low 02 for years) and I just about got chills assisting her to do something that she feels
 just so privileged to do -- express milk for HER BABY.  I left the hospital just about floating on a cloud, and feeling that I (and WE) have the greatest, most important job in the world.  Then I went to see "UP" with my husband and teenage son, and sobbed like a baby, and I think that was in part because of all the emotions I have experienced that day.  Being a CLC (and hopefully this fall can call myself an LC) is awesome.

--- On Sat, 7/11/09, Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Subject: another stupid reason not to breastfeed
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, July 11, 2009, 12:44 AM

OK, this week I am SOOOO discouraged. So many babies are given bottles in the hospital. The new favorite treatment for jaundice is two days of formula bottles, after which the baby won't latch. Duh. One mom, about a day from weaning because of severe pain, took her baby to the doctor who said, "yes, there is a mild tongue-tie, but it's not hurting anything." Another mom came in this week to say the nurse brought her baby and said "I just fed her, but here she is". Baby wouldn't latch after that and mom thought her chance was over. (We're working on that.) Here's the straw that broke the camel's back: a new mom came in this week to say she hadn't nursed in 4 days because the doctor told her not to nurse if she drank soda because it would give the baby gas. So, now she's on formula and has gas AND constipation! Help? The mom was credible. I feel like I'm trying to row upstream with toothpicks. Sigh..... 
Rowena Tucker IBCLC
Bryan, Texas, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2