From:
Wendy Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 2009 04:58:17 -0700
Rowena, thank you for a chuckle to start my day (the doctor telling the mom that drinking soda would give the baby gas), although I am sure it was not funny to you.  As we say in the South, sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.  We have all been there!
OTOH, had one of the most amazing experiences yesterday that will keep me stoked for a while: 20-year-old young girl with cardiac surgery x 2 history, told she could never have children, did in fact conceive and able to carry to 32 weeks, when she was delivered by c-section because of increasing pre-eclampsia.  So I go in the room and this tiny young girl is lying there surrounded by family with the O2 cannula in her nose, and just beams when I tell her I'm there to help her pump.  Hops up a little higher in the bed with her handsome military husband's help and is just ready to go, gets 10-15 ccs gorgeous golden colostrum in no time, all the while telling me (a little breathlessly  because of her condition) how she still can't take it in that she is now a MOTHER, and never thought it would happen.  She's holding the flanges with her puffy, clubbed fingers (from low 02 for years) and I just about got chills assisting her to do something that she feels
 just so privileged to do -- express milk for HER BABY.  I left the hospital just about floating on a cloud, and feeling that I (and WE) have the greatest, most important job in the world.  Then I went to see "UP" with my husband and teenage son, and sobbed like a baby, and I think that was in part because of all the emotions I have experienced that day.  Being a CLC (and hopefully this fall can call myself an LC) is awesome.