From:
Del Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 20:21:25 +0800
Hi Sarah

Some very wise words I heard = "The only stupid question is the one not
asked". :-)

I think it's great when people ask questions like this as it makes everyone
think carefully about the answers and even go and look something up to
refresh our knowledge - just like I did.

I knew for sure that prolactin is the hormone initially related to milk
"production" and oxytocin related the  "milk ejection reflex". I also
thought I remembered that oxytocin when given in it's synthetic form must be
given intravenously or nasally but couldn't recall why. So I looked it up -
Wikipedia is great for this sort of stuff for a quick search.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin It says oxytocin hormone is destroyed
in the gastrointestinal tract - light bulbs go off!!! for me....it refreshed
my memory. And the half life is stated to be about 3 minutes, but this looks
like it's relating to the synthetic ones. Nothing listed for the naturally
produced oxytocin in the human body. And oxytocin is a hormone ie protein,
so will be destroyed by the usual pasteurisation process for cow's milk.  So
cow's milk will not contain any oxytocin by the time it reaches a mother's
stomach - first because of half life, second likely destruction by
pasteurisation. Even if it did, the digestive process would denature the
protein anyway.

I recall hearing many many years ago now, Professor Peter Hartmann joke with
the medical students here in Perth about measuring these
hormones........one of these students stated we should be able to measure
the amount of oxytocin in a mother's milk so we could work out if a mother
was having a letdown ie if it was "working" ........Peter said, with his
lovely humour (I really think he enjoys this part of lecturing!) first of
all the mother would instantly stop releasing the hormones as soon as
someone came near her with a needle to draw blood and secondly the half life
was so short that the measures would never be accurate. I'm sure those
students remembered lots he explained in this way.

cheers
Del
Del Smith, IBCLC.
Dip. Teach, Bach. Ed (Secondary).
Certificate IV Breastfeeding Education (Counselling and Community)
Married to Kevin and Mum to two gorgeous boys Courtney '96 and Dylan '99
0413 383 073