Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:49:59 +0100
>Hi all,
>
>Ok I want to ask what may be a stupid question if you have known the
>answer for years.  I have looked up my books recently.  I do have
>Kristin Uvnas Moberg's book the Oxytocin factor but I have not read
>much of it yet.  In it she seems to say that bovine oxytocin is much
>the same as human oxytocin.  So question is - Does oxytocin pass
>into cow's milk from the cow?  If this is the case then can cow's
>milk increase a mum's milk supply? And if this is the case then
>surely reducing cow's milk in a mother's diet could reduce her
>perceived oversupply and be one reason why reducing cow's milk in a
>mum's diet can help symptom's of colic.

I have no idea if bovine hormones survive the processing that takes
place between cow and milk bottle, or cow and formula powder, or
whether the oxytocin would then be 'processable' by the human
mother... but oxytocin is not related to milk production, as far as
my understanding of it goes. Prolactin is the milk-making hormone.

>   I have also just ordered 'Baby matters - what your Dr may not tell
>you about caring for your baby' by Dr LF Palmer.  Trouble is I want
>to know more and I have lots of books but not enough time to read
>them.

That looks like a good book, and it's new to me...thanks for the
recommendation!

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK