From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:32:01 -0500
> I rented one of these the past weekend.  (By the way, I found prices
> were twice what you quoted, to buy, and the rental came to almost
> two hundred dollars, twice what Bob quoted).   It was a heavy duty
> unit, 4000 psi and used lots of heating oil.

I believe you rented a larger unit which might be the reason for the higher
cost.

 4000 PSI will peel paint off buildings and the floor of your honey house if
not careful.

 The reason I say "cheaper to rent" is the cost of repair which may be why
the rental place charges high fees.

. A friend in the rental business says he keeps these machines mainly as a
service for his customers and only *one*. Also he has replaced the pump on
his a couple times as with water in the pump the pumps freeze and break.

Only the maker works on most of the outfits and most sold are made in China.

> I bought a face shield but couldn't use it because of condensation
> and the fog.  Couldn't even wear my glasses.  It was one of more
> obnoxious things I have ever tried.

On the lighter side Stan "Americas funnyist video " pays $10,000 and we both
know it takes a bunch of work to clear 10,000 in commercial beekeeping.

> The economics of it are pretty clear:

I have always tried to cut corners to save money but when using hired labor
things change. Piece work is the only way to pay for frames built unless you
work with the people.

We are working on an out of country plastic foundation about a third the
price of U.S. * but* unwaxed.
Only unwaxed as customs will not let in waxed.

The labor cost for waxing brings the cost back up to what large amounts of
waxed sheets in the U.S. cost when picked up at the plant. However if
plastic /waxed foundation makers jump their prices even a dime a sheet the
scenario changes.

Years ago In Texas & Florida a complete commercial outfit could be made from
old comb tossed on bonfires from "snow bird" beekeepers. Everyone said it
was cheaper to trash combs than rebuild or repair *when you pay the labor*.
Many of us talk little of this aspect of commercial beekeeping but at times
what you might need to do. In Kansas awhile back I walked into a commercial
operation and the owner wanted to sell me around 3000 boxes needed repair
very cheap. I declined.

Mann lake & Dadant sell the heck out of finished frames..

*If* you plan to keep help today in the bee business you have to pay a
decent wage. Still other beeks are always trying to lure your help away with
offers of higher wages.

I worked a 12 hour day yesterday making splits and moving into a holding
yard with steady thirty mile per hour winds and light rain. The help left at
5 PM. I worked three hours longer. Under the conditions we were working we
were taking some stings which was the reason for my help wanting off instead
of helping work longer.

I could have forced the issue but did not. I have had help go to lunch and
not come back!

Late days catch up with your as starting time is the same the next day. We
are a bit ahead of schedule for spring work but the blizzard north of us
hits in a few days. A load of bees is most likely sitting along I 80 in a
snow bank as due in Thursday from almonds.

Allen said he really doubts many people really realize what commercial
beekeeping is like. Not those peoples fault but I believe he is right.

Consider a trip on a salt water deep sea fishing adventure. Your first time
on the ocean. The boat is going out to 50 miles to the gulf stream ( full
day). You get sea sick as soon as the boat leaves and you politely ask the
Captain to turn around and take you back to shore. The Captain points to the
*green room* which will be your home for the rest on the voyage.

Working with a commercial beekeeper is similar. Some days the bees are in a
good mood and others not.
Either way the boat comes home when the work is done.

bob