From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:44:56 -0500
Do we have evidence of a global increase in midline defects?  According to the Disappearing Male video, hypospadia is increasing (or I think that's what they said).  Someone else told me there's been an increase in midline defects overall.

I couldn't find anything about a trend in mid-line defects with a quick Google.  But is it possible that we're seeing an increase in tongue-ties because they represent a very subtle mid-line defect, the result of environmental contamination of some kind?

I suppose if that were the connection, we'd be seeing increased mortality in the offspring of other species as well, probably ascribed to failure-to-thrive, because *they're* having midline problems too.  Nobody clips tongue-ties in deer...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.normalfed.com