Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:50:19 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
"A coworker of mine is due to have her baby in about 3 weeks and has had problems in the past with oversupply issues. I want to try and help her this time"

Years ago I knew a Leader whose oversupply got worse with each child.  Late in each pregnancy she'd rent a pump, knowing she'd need it.  She talked of nursing one of her babies, then nursing the toddler, then pumping 10 oz.  "Nicholas," she begged the toddler after one of her babies, "Please, please nurse!"  "Mom, I can't," said poor Nicholas, holding his stomach.  "I'm too full!"  She said the engorgement was worse than labor.

With oversupply management she was able to back it down each time.  But as far as I know, she never found a solution to that early massive supply.

I'd be really curious to see what "laid-back breastfeeding" could accomplish from the start - baby on mom, draped roughly left breast to right thigh, just letting the baby live on her chest.  Is it possible that this total-access, baby-pressed-to-mom approach would minimize it from the start?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA
www.normalfed.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2