From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 12:09:50 +0100
I'd just like to point out we've moved from not enjoying, to hating, in
two posts, with no feed back from the original poster.

I didn't have any feelings about breastfeeding for the first 9 months.
It was just what I did to feed the baby.  I'm rather alarmed to hear
that not enjoying it, is now linked to the damage I did my son by
showing my obvious hatred of it.  I'm quite annoyed by him right now, as
I type, actually.  He's latched one and swinging my boobs around as if
he was on a trapeze wire.  Would my life on the computer be easier if he
was weaned?  Damned yes.  Am I going to force his weaning?  Dammed no.

It's not what we do, it's how we do it.  I breastfed in exactly the same
way I changed nappies.  With a smile on my face, and the occasional
"OUCH! don't to that!"  And like most mothers, the occasional rage that
the damn baby was hungry again!!!!!!!  And that's nothing to do with how
you feed it, and everything to do with baby's needs.  Just like I do
snark at him now when he's IN THE WAY!!!!!

The point isn't my level of enjoyment - the point is my commitment to my
son's future.   Under this ethos, no baby would be born, as mother's
generally don't enjoy pregnancy or labour!

It's not about selling an endearing package of child love and wonder.
That doesn't always happen, and it rarely happens for the first few
weeks anyway.  It takes time to fall in love with your own baby (as
opposed to know you'd kill/die for it - different thing.)  We all do
things we find hard work, in order to achieve.

Breastfeeding can be just the same - damn hard work that requires work
and determination, and putting our own feelings aside for the baby's
future.  We don't all feel the magic, and some women never get to the
magic before they have weaned - it has always remained as just something
you do to feed the baby.

And I'd argue that a woman who is genuinely adverse to breastfeeding,
needs support to do it more than any others - for bottle feeding will
make it harder to overcome her own fears and feelings, on behalf of the
baby, and she's much more likely to end up feeling distanced and
depressed.  Again, we've moved from women who are choosing to refuse for
some feeling of not being put out, to babies growing up hated, and
uber-sympathy for a women not able to breastfeed and feeling ashamed, in
two posts!!!!

The mother scared of the intimacy and dependency of breastfeeding, needs
more support to see that it's her baby's needs, that should be looked
at, if she can put her own to one side.  After all, every time she
breastfeeds, she's going to get a hormone that makes her feel good!
That physicality is going to transferred to the baby too.  Allowing her
to blindly choose to refuse and thus helping her along the path of
feeling more distanced from her baby... can't see a world in which that
is helping.  And, incidentally, not a path the original poster chose, as
the post was about how to present information to this mother.

Breastfeeding can be hard work and annoying.  So what?  Things that are
hard work and annoying, often bring the greatest sense of acheivement.

Mothers get annoyed with their babies and their kids for all sorts of
things - including pouring bottles of ketchup on the cat.  That's not
reason to never have kids!  :-)  Just like not being sure you are going
to like breasfteeding, is no reason to refuse your baby your breast.
Sometimes, it's the mother that sucks it up.  :-)

Morgan Gallagher

Karleen,