From:
g raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 03:44:32 -0700
sorry to nitpick but i think this is an uber important issue to discuss.

Likening changing nappies to breastfeeding is not appropriate.  like comparing making your partner dinner to making love with your partner.  you can make dinner as a sense of duty, but making love as a sense of duty is not sustainable nor is one reaping full benefits of experience.

The nutrients of breastmilk is one small part of baby's needs being met through breastfeeding.

meeting an infant's needs with obligatory breastfeeding is not equivalent to breastfeeding joyfully.  further, part of the consequences of breastfeeding are for mother too: creating intimacy, learning to be generous (with mind and body), learning to relinquish control etc etc.  like previous post, if mother is not enjoying breastfeeding, it is important to explore with mother why.

if we're to look at an evolution of how we talk about breastfeeding:

first it was: breast is healthier. (cite allergies, leukemia, diabetes, etc etc)
then it was: breast is norm, formula harms.
and now are we brave enough to say that above and beyond breastmilk, the act of breastfeeding makes women more motherly....and infants more human?