From:
Christine Bussman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 21:22:49 -0600
Umm... whatever happened to "watch your baby, not the calendar"?  Both
sides seem so caught up in numbers that they ignore that babies are
ready for solids at different ages.  I know I've heard stories of babies
who were not interested until a year old.  My son was the other way.
Before he even reached three months old, he was so interested in solids
that he was stealing them.  He would throw himself at food that I was
holding as I was eating it, and often land with his mouth on it.  I
called my mother in a panic because he actually ate a rice grain before
three months.  He also stole fruit, crackers, granola bar, and I can't
even remember what else.  I have a video of him beating on my arms as I
am eating chocolate cake, trying to get me to drop some into his open
mouth underneath.  I held him off until 4 months by giving him breast
milk by spoon occasionally.  He wasn't satisfied with that, but at least
he stole less food.  At four months and five months I introduced one
pureed food (sweet potatoes and apples, I forget in which order).  I had
four choices:
-do not eat myself except when he was asleep or someone else could hold him
              this would have been dangerous for both of us
- lay him down somewhere to scream while I ate
                 this was totally unacceptable to me
- do not give him solids, but continue to hold him while I ate.
                 if I did this, he would continue to steal food, and it
would not necessarily have been safe
                 or low-allergy food
- give him solids in a very controlled way until he gets older

I chose the fourth option, simply because the first two were not options
at all, and it seemed safer than the first.  When at four months I
introduced solids, he had teeth and was meeting all of the other
developmental guidelines.

This is a case where the problem with the research is that it starts out
with the false premise that there is one age to introduce solids to all
babies.  Some babies are ready for solids very early, like mine, and
some not until much later.  I would like to see a study comparing babies
given solids at six months, whenever they became ready, to babies who
are given solids when they are ready.

Christine Bussman