From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 19:15:24 -0800
Diane said: "The public - including WIC - has bought into the new air filter, at a higher price and for no documented advantage."

  I have been in touch with the WIC staff in California, a state that spends a FORTUNE on formula - and want to clarify that they WOULD have purchased formula without the ARA/DHA - but they had no choice - the formula companies that submitted bids ONLY submitted bids for the ARA/DHA formula - thus they were forced to accept the lowest bid of those!

  States employees really have their hands tied - they can only do what is "in the regulations" - so they put a description of the product our for bid - and then they are stuck with what is offered....

  IF the ARA/DHA formula had not met the minimun requirements of the FDA, then they could have stated that nothing was meeting the minimun bid requirements - but this was not the case.

  We'll see what happens next...especially as such a great effort is being spent with the WIC new food packages and the efforts to encourage exclusively breastfeeding mothers to accept the mother's food package and not take any formula...

  But as all of you know, you need to provide a LOT of support those first 4 weeks to help moms through the crises and insecurities that formula companies feed on (forgive the pun)...

  Jeanette Panchula