From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:58:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2007 11:04:17 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

What do  you folks say to women prenatally to prepare them for the reality of
the  first couple of weeks of breastfeeding?

Dear Friends:

What an amazing question.

How can we prepare women for an experience that most of them, at least in
the States, have never seen? How can we prepare a woman for a newborn who  has
never seen or held one?

How can one be prepared for falling in love? Or having an orgasm? Or the
taste of chocolate? Or the death of a loved relative?

In some respects, I wonder if we can ever be prepared for these major life
events. There is enough knowledge in the collective unconscious and in
everyday experience of these events that may help normalize the mystery, and  carry
the newcomer through the passage. But how to prepare? There is an element  of
discovery and uncertainty that is part of the passage; people can't feel
feelings in advance of the event.

I am in the position now of counseling the daughter of dear friends who is
pregnant with her first baby. I sent her the link to the breast crawl video, so
 she could see what a newborn can do. I suggested she attend a nursing
mother's  meeting to see what mothers and babies do together. I will encourage a
time of  warm privacy where she can her baby can learn about each other after the
birth.  I will tell her, as I describe to all new mothers, that breastfeeding
is  relatively simple if she watches the baby, and that the baby will teach
her  about breastfeeding. And I will encourage her to have a network of a few
loving  friends and relatives to do some laundry/cooking/cleaning for enough
time as she  needs to feel confident with her discoveries.

What a terrific question, Chris! What will others say??

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
_www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com_ (http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/)
www.myspace/AdonicaLee