From:
Fleur Bickford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:41:05 -0400
Thank you so much for all the responses I received to my original post both
on list and privately. The mom I'm working with was so pleased to know that
she's not the only one who thinks that her doctor's recommendations are crazy!
I talked to the mom tonight (previous contact had been by e-mail only), and
was able to get some more info. Baby is showing some improvement in that
she's not vomiting as much at the moment, but she's still gassy and showing
some signs of discomfort. After talking to the mom, I suspect that a lot of
baby's problems are being caused by oversupply. Mom states she has a lot of
milk, starts getting uncomfortable if baby goes longer than usual between
feeds, and sprays milk if baby pulls off. Baby gulps while nursing, is
gaining weight well, prefers to nurse laying down, only nurses on one breast
per feed, and of course has been having a lot of gas and vomiting. I've
suggested to mom that she start feeding on the same breast for two feedings
in a row and I'll follow up with her again in a couple of days to see how
things are going. If necessary we'll increase the block feeding. Mom is
still waiting on the results of the allergy test, but hopefully it will be
as simple as block feeding to regulate supply.

Fleur Bickford RN, LLLL