From:
Beth McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:12:52 -0400
I have spent the last year as an LC intern and I have heard more (lots more) than once that mixing breast milk with formula is beneficial.  Instead of looking at the situation as "how is the formula damaging the breastmilk" we look at it as "how is the breastmilk helping/improving the formula".  If the baby must be supplemented and the mother is pumping and has some milk to add to the supplement then it is encouraged that she do so.  The digestibility of the formula is improved, it is more palatable to the baby and seems to flow through the tube of at breast supplementers (if one is being used) better.  Granted there may be some detrimental effects but as noted there doesn't seem to be any evidence of this.  Waste can be an issue for some moms for whom every drop is hard won and precious but often the moms seem to work amounts out with the baby.  For most moms who are using at breast supplementers at least some breast milk (though it may be a tiny amount) gets mixed with formula all the time - at least in baby's mouth and tummy and no one seems to think it is an issue.  Or do they?

beth in ottawa