From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:15:07 -0500
I am also dismayed by the marketing practices of some pump manufactures
but I am just as dismayed by the lack of intelligent thinking by people
on the claims being made. I am absolutely appalled at hearing from
nurses and lactation consultants how one of the two major brands is
better than the other and moms will fail at pumping on the other major
brand. To me, this is just plain ignorance and a complete sell out by
the lactation community towards one manufacturer. This is all related to
the marketing of one manufacturer.

I am not at all impressed by the bottle nipples that Medela uses (if
they have changed recently, I am unaware of this). They were NUK style.
These have fallen out of lactation favoritism for many years.

I am not impressed by how much liquid collects in the tubing of the open
collection kits used by one manufacturer and how this is glossed over
and ignored by everyone. When the HMBANA says closed collections systems
are better/best, why is this not openly talked about and mothers told to
clean their tubing?

I am dismayed by the disinformation that some pump companies put out
there. For example, I am hearing how one company says the other major
brand pumps are no good, have poor cycling, or bad rhythm, etc.

I am dismayed by the disinformation being put out on the Medela old
style piston/cylinder manual pump using the tubing and how it is failing
to work for my clients. I have to think someone in the company is
promoting using this manual as a double, set up like a Lactina
collection kit, or why else would almost every hospital in Houston that
uses Medela be sending moms home using it this way? And why hasn't
anyone tested it before recommending it so they know it isn't working?
Meaning why are LCs recommending this when it doesn't work?

I have NICU nurses telling me that the WIC brand pump is not as good as
their hospital pump but the moms love the WIC brand as much if not more
than they liked the one in the hospital. Where does this kind if
ignorance and disinformation come from? Not from science or follow up!!

And let's not forget how one particular pump is promoted, marketed, and
I even hear hospital staff repeating this same line, as the BEST pump
there ever was. What research is this based on that this is better than
any other pump? Moms buy it hook, line, and sinker, and pay more to rent
this pump when the lower priced one would do just as well. I get low
income moms renting the most expensive one because the hospital or pump
dealer said it was the best but they do not have the money and get
snookered into something they can not afford. And when that particular
pump isn't working well for them, they blame themselves until someone
says try another style/brand and gee, that pump is now increasing her
supply.

Marketing is marketing and companies are in business to make money in
the USA. Profit is okay by me because I think capitalism is a good
system. I just wish people would use their brains -- especially LCs --
and think about this and realize that it is all hype and marketing in
order to increase the sales. I work with a variety of moms using a
variety of pumps and I know that there is no one best manufacturer nor
one pump that will work for every mom. I can see for myself what is in
the tubing of the collections kits that moms are using and whether or
not the tubing is moist or clean.

Off my soapbox, Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC