HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 01:37:38 EST
Depending on how close the lead ball was to Jacumba, there is not a lot out
there for a gate weight to have fallen. There was a 1940s dairy to the east
along a creek. The Mexican town of Jacume lies several miles to the south.
Rugged tall mountains ring the Jacumba Valley to the east, south, and west. The
prehistoric and historic village of Jacum is adjacent to the post 1900 town of
 Jacumba, which peaked during the 1920s and had a brief boom when American
soldiers from Campo came down to soak in the hot springs during the 1940s.
There  was a hotel, spa, post office, a few bars, and a store until Interstate 8
by-passed the town in the 1960s and then the hotel and spa burned, a bar
closed,  and most of hte stores are vacant. Now it is just a motel, a couple of
stores, a  community center, a school, and the gas stations are located out by
the freeway.  I doubt a gate weight explains the lead ball.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 2/4/2008 1:18:32 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,