HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:23:23 -0500
I've seen 10s-of-thousands of glass telegraph insulators in dozens of US
collections, and yet to see a red one. I suspect this is a techno-myth. To
produce red glass (in the era when telegraph wires were being strung)
required the use of prohibitively expensive gold compounds. This would be
highly impractical for such utilitarian objects. Barring some compelling
reason to produce them (perhaps as trap-bait for aborigines and Apaches?),
it would be quite a bizarre economic aberration. As anyone knows who's ever
worked with the restoration of stained glass work, the genuine antique red
glass is ... by far ... the most expensive color to aquire.

~Bob Skiles